Tuesday, April 19, 2005

Continuing with an explanation of the title

I'm an English major. I pay attention to spelling. So when I noticed that my NIV spelled a certain key word "brier," I noticed. I noticed that it wasn't "briar," which I'd always thought was right. The faithless Oxford English Dictionary likewise gave preference to "brier," though it admits both are right. Still, I decided to go with the flow.

Now I've changed my mind. Dangit, I like the letter "a" in there and it is acceptable and I'll keep it. Unfortunately, it complicates things to change the URL, so it'll stay. And I want to quote the Bible without editing, so I'll leave that spelling. But I'm gonna be bold and change the title.

Yes, it's inconsistent. It's English. Ain't it glorious? (Don't worry, I won't get this technical most of the time.)

2 comments:

Wasp Jerky said...

Hey Kirala. Nice stuff so far. I have a feeling I'm going to like it around here. It's good to see someone repping the South as well.

Anonymous said...

I'm the Pirate Pope, and I approve this spelling.