Friday, November 20, 2009

A tale of two puppies

My beloved dog has lived with our family for almost all of her fourteen years. Even though she is now old, graying and arthritic, she is still Puppy to me. When we take her for walks, she is still mistaken for a puppy (she's vaguely the size and shape of a half-grown Lab, enough that someone who doesn't know dogs well will think she is one despite a rather different build), so I guess I may be a bit justified in my opinion.

Which makes it hard to think of how to compare her to my sister's six-month-old boxer/pit bull mix. He is far more a puppy than Puppy, but is probably ten to twenty pounds heavier and altogether on a different scale. Already I'm calling him Beast. Last night went something like this:

Beast-Puppy: Play!
Old-Puppy: Yay! I feel young!

*five minutes later*

Beast-Puppy: Play harder!
Old-Puppy: Gettin' tired...

*five minutes later*

Beast-Puppy: Play?
Old-Puppy: Sleepin' now in bed. Go 'way.

Beast-Puppy: Play? Wait...
Old-Puppy: GO 'WAY, PLZ.
Beast-Puppy: ... Joy! Rapture! You have prizes buried!
(Old Puppy has never had much interest in toys - she'll play with them when they're new for about half an hour, then abandon them. We then toss them in her basket under her pillow. Beast was fascinated.)
Beast-Puppy: Scooch over. Nose-digging for prizes!
Old-Puppy: Humans? Little help here? Please I am such a good doggie and so patient and I don't know what to do with this shover HELP!

Humans: *yank Beast away with stern injunction to Leave Her Alone*

Beast-Puppy: *pitiful* Play?
Humans: ...Okay. *retrieve toy from bed with minimal fuss*

Beast-Puppy: ... More prizes?
Old-Puppy: GO 'WAY! HUMANS!
Beast-Puppy: Lemme look little more! Little more!
Humans: NO.

Old-Puppy: Food, plz.
Beast-Puppy: FOOD!
Old-Puppy: GET AWAY FROM MY FOOD, INFANT, OR I KILL YOU.
Humans: Okay, Beast, you go upstairs.
Beast-Puppy: Play?
Humans: ... okay. (He's so pitiful when he begs.)

Beast-Puppy: Bored. Sidle over to see if More Prizes? *shovels Old Puppy halfway into the air*
Old-Puppy: THAT IS IT, I HAVE HAD ENOUGH. *stalks upstairs and demands master bedroom door be opened*
Humans: One of us had better keep her company.
Old-Puppy: YAY door between Beast and me and other-bed and beloved comforting Human! *sleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeps*

Various other activities ensued, but that was pretty much the last Old Puppy had to deal with Beast before both went to bed for the night. This morning:

Beast-Puppy: Need out!
Sis: *grumble grumble* too early *grumble grumble fumble for leash*
Beast-Puppy: Yay, we go walk!
*few minutes later*
Sis: Need more sleep...
Beast-Puppy: Play now!
Sis: NO. *goes to bed*
Beast-Puppy: Day now! Go play! Go explore! Let out of room! Go play? Go play? Go play? Go play! Go play? Go play?! GO PLAY?
Sis: ENOUGH! *drags down to crate* *stalks back upstairs alone to sleep*

Old-Puppy: Hello, Mouse. You look comfy in my favorite human bed. I share! *settles down*

Beast-Puppy: I sorry. Let out? Let out? Let out? Oh please oh please oh please let out, please let out, PLEASE LET OUT...

Old-Puppy: Huh. The kid is unhappy. Now do I actually worry about him, or do I stay here...

Beast-Puppy: LET OUT! LET OUT! OH FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THAT IS GOOD, LET OUT!

Old-Puppy saunters downstairs to check it out. There is a short silence. Then she returns upstairs to casually saunter back onto my bed as the whining renews.

Old-Puppy: Ahhh, comfy bed. Enjoy the cage, kid. *smugly settles in to sleep*

1 comment:

Mom said...

I love it! Captures them well.